In addition to my guitars I offer hand wound guitar pickups, restored vintage pickups, and rewinding services. Most of my pickups are variations on classic single coil designs.
All pickups are designed, assembled, and hand wound by me. Output, wire gauge, and magnet type are customizable. Options include P90s (bar or rod magnets), Tele style pickups, Strat style pickups, full size or mini humbuckers, and more. Depending on the availability of materials, I am happy to wind whatever you would like, and have done gold foil pickups, humbucker sized P90s, Tele bridge P90s, bar magnet blade Strat sized pickups, rod magnet P90s, and others.
When it comes to pickup repair I am most interested in various oddball vintage single coil designs. I have experience repairing many models of gold foil pickups (Teisco, Guyatone, DeArmond), DeArmond Hershey Bars, Kay Pancakes, and all sorts of vintage Japanese single coils (I am a big fan of Tiesco’s P90-like designs). Restored vintage pickups often find their way into my builds as well.
If you’d like to order pickups or inquire about a repair please contact me.
Cococaster Tele Set
Slightly hotter-than-vintage tele set designed in collaboration with Cody Nilsen. These use Alnico 5 rod magnets and 42 awg plain enamel coil wire. 6.2k neck and 8k bridge. Lightly wax potted and RWRP for hum canceling when combined.
Bar Rail Strat Set
Bar magnet “blade” style Strat set – coils are wound directly around vertically oriented bar magnets. These retain classic Strat sounds with extra touch sensitivity and output. Alnico 5 magnets and 42 awg plain enamel coil wire are standard, but other magnet grades and wire gauges can be used. 6.1k neck, 6.3k middle, and 6.5k bridge. Lightly wax potted and RWRP for hum canceling when combined. Steel baseplates available at an additional $10/pickup.
PAF spec humbucker set. Butyrate bobbins, 42 awg plain enamel coil wire, rough cast Alnico 2 or 5 bar magnets, correct specs down to polepiece/slug/baseplate/cover materials. 7.2k neck and 8k bridge. Unpotted. Available uncovered in any combination of cream/black bobbins, or in nickel, gold, or raw covers.
A humbucker sized interpretation of the 3×3 Supro lap steel pickup made famous as a bridge pickup by Ry Cooder and David Lindley. 44 awg coil wire, hi strength alnico, two small coils out of phase with each other. 6k.
Recycled Vintage Pickups
I offer a rotating selection of rebuilt vintage pickups as well as original pickup builds using vintage magnets, wire, or other components. Current options include 1950s Fender alnico rod magnets, 1966 Phelps Dodge Formvar wire, 1960s Teisco and Guyatone gold foil ceramic bar magnets, and more. The most fun and unique pickup designs I make can be found here.
Players and Builders
Who’s using Lord Guitar Pickups? To name a few:
- Mike T. Kerr (Mike T. Kerr’s Red Hot Jazz Explosion, Corin Raymond, William Prince) – humbucker-sized P90 neck/tele bridge set, LAF humbucker neck with rewound vintage DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge set
- Cody Nilsen (Ward Hayden & the Outliers, solo) – signature “Cococaster” tele set
- Reverend Peyton (The Reverend Peyton’s Big Damn Band) – Steelpro humbucker sized Supro style pickup
- Marc Friedman (The Slip, Ryan Montbleau, Natalie Merchant) – rewound Kay pancake
- Lenny Lashley (Lenny Lashley’s Gang of One) – LAF set
- Nichol Robertson (the hardest working man in Toronto) – Firebird style mini humbucker
- Justin Kelley (Hownd) – Bass VI set
- Andrew Aghababian (Unnamed Colors, Bird at Sea) – P90s, custom tele sets, firebird mini humbucker, rewound DeArmond Hershey Bar
- Greg Hall (Ward Hayden & the Outliers, solo) – single coil sized humbucker for rubber bridge guitar
- Karge Guitars – custom tele sets, mini humbuckers
- Spiller Guitars – SteelPro, custom tele bridge pickups
- J.Parsons Guitars – duo sonic pickups
- Old Truck Guitars – humbucker sized P90 set, various vintage rewinds (these guys keep me busy with a stream of broken DeArmond goldfoils, Teisco goldfoils, Kay pancakes, etc)